quarta-feira, 13 de julho de 2011

Jay Bothroyd joins Queens Park Rangers on free transfer

Premier League newcomers Queens Park Rangers have signed England striker Jay Bothroyd on a free transfer.

The 28-year-old, who left Cardiff during the summer, has signed a three-year deal at Loftus Road.

"I think this club is heading in the right direction and has got a lot of ambition," said Bothroyd.

Manager Neil Warnock commented: "We have had to have a lot of patience with this but, as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait."

Bothroyd began his career with QPR - he was in the centre of excellence from the age of nine - before moving on to join Arsenal's youth system.

He has since had spells with Coventry, Perugia, Blackburn, Charlton, Wolves, Stoke and Cardiff.

But after being unable to agree a contract extension with the Bluebirds following their failure to win promotion to the Premier League through the Championship play-offs, Bothroyd jumped at the chance to play in the top flight.

"I spoke to the manager and he told me how much he wanted me," Bothroyd told QPR's official website.

"He convinced me that this was the right place to be. He told me the direction that he wants to go in and the way he wants to play."

Bothroyd has represented England once at senior level, winning his only cap in the defeat by France last season, a reward for his fine club form - he finished the campaign with 20 goals.

"I want to be playing against the best players in the world," said the forward.

"I got a taste of that when I joined up with the England squad, and hopefully I can do well for QPR and get back into the squad.

"People say I'm a 'one-cap wonder' and I want to get that second cap to put that to bed."

Warnock added: "We are now working hard to add another new face to the squad and we hope to have that done very soon."