terça-feira, 10 de maio de 2011

Real Madrid confirm Sahin signing

Real Madrid have confirmed the signing of Borussia Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin.

The 22-year-old Turkey international has agreed a six-year deal with the Spanish giants after helping Dortmund land this season's Bundesliga title.

Sahin becomes Jose Mourinho's first signing for the 2011/12 campaign as Madrid contemplate missing out on the La Liga crown to Barcelona once again.

Sahin, who came through the ranks at Dortmund and became the youngest ever player to play in the Bundesliga aged just 16, admitted it had been a difficult decision to make.

"I will miss Dortmund," he said at a press conference. "But I am proud to be taking this step.

"It was tough to make up my mind as I am a Borussia and will always be a Borussia.

"I will miss the Bundesliga and my home country and I would like to thank everybody who has helped me along my way."

Sahin, who was born in Ludenscheid, just a stone's throw from Dortmund's Westfalenstadion, but opted to represent his parents' home country Turkey, admitted that leaving the club was a huge wrench.

"Saying goodbye to my team-mates was very, very difficult," he said.

"They are all so close to my heart and it was a very emotional goodbye.

"Everybody did everything for each other in this team and this is a fantastic team which has won a fantastic title."

Dortmund are understood to have received 10 million euros in the deal.

Sahin's contract was due to expire in 2013, but it included a clause which enabled him to leave for a set fee, which Madrid have met as it is widely regarded to be a fraction of his true market value.